Thursday 15 December 2016

What Can I Give Him?

I heard of one of our churches which, as part of the journey through Advent and getting ready for Christmas, provided an opportunity for the local community to really get involved in the story.

As I understand it, though I may have some of the details wrong, there were painted boards of the story with a hole for your own face and/or dressing up clothes. People were invited to use these to help enter the story and consider the part they might have played had they been there. They could then take a 'selfie' as a reminder, hopefully not just of some fun, but also of something far more profound.

A contemporary way perhaps of doing what we have done so often in singing that verse of Christina Rossetti's carol:

What can I give him,
poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb;
if I were a wise man
I would do my part;
yet what I can I give him -
give my heart.

No comments: