Wednesday 28 December 2016

A Safe Place for Others

One of our key tasks as Christians is to be as Christ for others. I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, and all that stuff. Or, putting it in the words of the song: 'When I needed a neighbour, were you there?'

I have been reading Henri Nouwen's Bread for the Journey which offers a brief reflection for each day of the year, and was especially struck by today's focus on 'being safe places for others.'

As Nouwen puts it: "When we are free from the need to judge or condemn, we can become safe places for people to meet in vulnerability and take down the walls that separate them. Being deeply rooted in the love of God, we cannot help but invite people to love one another."

I suspect that, too easily and too frequently, we judge and condemn. How easily and how often are we the kind of people that could be described as 'safe places'?

No comments: