Wednesday 8 April 2020

Cross of Coal

Today's Cross is a Cross made of coal, not something that I would have expected. It is, like some others I have, a celtic cross in design, but it is the material from which it is made that I see as significant. It speaks to me, because of the substance, of industry and economy, and also, as I think of energy use, of climate change. It reminds me that God is intimately connected with, and concerned about, all of life. Whilst I appreciate the thought of some things as 'holy', in another sense there is not a separate compartment of life marked 'holy'. It is important to note how Jesus, in his earthly life, met people where they were and at the point of their need. It is also important to remember that he engaged with all classes of people. Our faith should not be confined to certain areas of life. It needs to be everywhere. That is the message both of Good Friday and of Easter Day. The cross appears to be the end. It is a nonsense. For the moment, things look hopeless, but ...

Brian Wren's hymn portrays the moment:

Here hangs a man discarded,
a scarecrow hoisted high,
a nonsense pointing nowhere
to all who hurry by.


No comments: