Thursday 9 April 2020

Celtic Cross

Today's is another Celtic Cross. It's simple, made, I think, of stone. And today is Maundy Thursday, and so I want to reflect briefly on the events of Maundy Thursday. Jesus sent some of the disciples to make preparations for a meal, presumably a Passover meal. They gathered in an upper room. There, of course, Jesus took on the so called menial role, that everyone else clearly declined. He was the one to wash the feet of the others. No doubt, there was lots of interesting conversation. Alongside the meal they shared bread and wine. This is my Body. This is my Blood. So, a huge part of our expression of our faith was instituted. There was conversation about betrayal and denial. Then they went out. They went out to the garden of Gethsemane, where Jesus struggled in an agony of prayer - while the disciples slept! So, the scene is set for the betrayal, the arrest, the 'trials', the beatings, the crown of thorns, the mockery - and all that takes us into and through Good Friday.

I am reminded of Paul Gerhardt's hymn, of course in its English translation:

O sacred head, once wounded,
with grief and shame weighed down;
O royal head, surrounded
with thorns, thy only crown;
O Lord of life and glory:
what bliss till now was thine!
I read the wondrous story,
I joy to call thee mine.

No comments: