Saturday 11 April 2020

Cross from Hungary

Today's Cross is another brought back from a visit to another country, this time the visit that my wife and I made to Budapest, Hungary in 2017. This ceramic cross features a traditional Hungarian design, reminiscent for me of my visits to Romania in the 2000s. One of the congregations to which I ministered in my last post developed a twinning link with a congregation of the Reformed Church in Timisoara/Temesvar in Romania. As the Reformed Church is a home for Hungarians in Romania, the culture I experienced on my three visits was a mix of Romanian and Hungarian, but predominantly the latter. This cross then has become a link for me with that particular part of my world church journey. It is therefore a reminder of our unity in Christ across the globe. That is important to me, and I have been fortunate to make world church links in a number of places.

Today, Holy Saturday, is, in many ways, a dark day. We are between Good Friday and Easter Day. Let us think of the dark moments which are as much an important part of our faith as are the times of joy and celebration.

I am reminded of Thomas Kelly's hymn:

We sing the praise of him who died,
of him who died upon the cross;
the sinner's hope though all deride,
for this we count thev world but loss.

No comments: