Saturday 4 April 2020

Croatian Cross


Yesterday I posted about the cross that I have had the longest. Today, I am posting about the cross (pictured) that I have had the least time. Last October my wife and I went to Split in Croatia for a week's holiday, and I obtained this cross from one of the stalls on the seafront at Split.

That means it has good associatons as it reminds me of our time there. It got to me thinking as to whether I should buy crosses when on holiday or visiting places - and my answer is why not?

Buying crosses in different places reminds me that my faith is with me wherever I go. It also reminds me that Christianity is a global religion, and so its symbols and representations are to be found around the world.

It is interesting to note that Croatia is a strongly Christian country, mainly Roman Catholic - our guide on a walking tour round the old city introduced himself a Christian, not something I would expect to encounter in the UK.

This cross is made of the local brac stone, and so is very much rooted in the Dalmatian region.  It is  rather splendid.

I am reminded of the hymn written by John Bowring:

In the cross of Christ I glory,
towering o'er the wrecks of time;
all the light of sacred story
gathers round its head sublime.

No comments: