Tuesday 28 June 2011

Being Abandoned

Miroslav Volf writes: "Jesus’ greatest agony was not that he suffered.  Suffering can be endured, even embraced, if it brings desired fruit, as the experience of giving birth illustrates.  What turned the pain of suffering into agony was the abandonment; Jesus was abandoned by the people who trusted in him and by the God in whom he trusted.  “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mark 15.34).  My God, my God, why did my radical obedience to your way lead to the pain and disgrace of the cross?" 


How challenging is that - yet how true?  How we need to reach out, so that nobody need feel abandoned! - and how can we do that?

1 comment:

Clarence Heller said...

I believe that most, if not all, people have experienced abandonment to a greater or lesser degree. What brings me solice is that I know that Jesus too experienced abandonment, that when I feel abandoned he is with me, totally understanding, empathetic and loving.