Monday 23 June 2008

Taking Risks

There can be little doubt that Jesus was a great risk-taker. We live in an age where policies and safeguards rule the roost. There is an amazing range of things for which we ought to have policies - and they are there to keep us right. However, I have to admit to being a little fascinated that I now can spend so much time thinking about risk assessments and like tasks when I have spent so much of my ministry commending the taking of risks as a Gospel attribute. But then, I suppose that a good risk assessment does not necessarily insist that you don't take the risk: it just likes to be sure that you know what you might be facing. In our insurance culture we try to put in place safeguards against almost any eventuality - but the Gospel encourages us to take the risk.

No comments: