Thursday 31 December 2020

Cross from Anvil Pottery/St Beuno's

 

On my recent visit to St Beuno's in North Wales for a (brief) silent retreat, I bought the cross pictured as a reminder of my times at St Beuno's, but also as a pointer to the journey ahead,

Anvil Pottery is relatively close to St Beuno's, situated in the village of Llanrhaeadr in the Vale of Clwyd. It was fitting to buy something that was made nearby, and a reminder of what we each can do. That links very much to my thinking and reflecting at St Beuno's around what God calls me (and each one of us) to do.

The Celtic style of the Cross speaks to me of mission and pilgrimage as I consider the implications of where God is now calling me to be and what God is calling me to do. In very many ways that is daunting, but I can have confidence because God does not call us to go on our own, but rather walks the road with us.

That's an encouraging thought as we enter a new year. 

I am currently reading Nigel Tranter's novel about the life of Columba (simply titled 'Columba'), and that, too, is a good reminder of the struggles and joys as we take the opportunity to do what God asks of us. Columba found that it led him places that he had not expected and that he did not want, but, as he also discovered, God's places are always places of blessing.

No comments: