Monday 1 February 2021

Nearly 50 Years On

As I begin my second month as Moderator of the National Synod of Scotland, I have taken a moment to think back to my early opportunities of leading worship, many of which were at churches which I look forward to visiting again before too long, when the pandemic restrictions are not as at present. One of the few things I have managed to do across the years is keep a record of leading worship – which now goes back almost fifty years.

It was on the 4th March 1973 that I preached my first ever sermon – and that was at Bathgate, where my Dad was then the minister, and the good folk of Bathgate had to put up with this novice preacher on quite a few further occasions.

Other early ‘attempts’ (at some of today’s Synod URCs) were at School Wynd, Paisley (November 75), Greenock East (May 76), Morison Memorial, Clydebank (October 76), Rutherglen (May 77), Barrhead (also May 77 – and they invited me back in November 77), Granton (October 77), Saughtonhall (November 77), Augustine, Edinburgh (February 78), and Carluke (March 78).

(It wasn't only Barrhead that invited me back!)

No comments: