Thursday 26 March 2020

What Is Ministry?

Extract from a note I sent to ministers in the URC's Eastern Synod today:


In his book Calling and Character William Willimon writes: “Ministry is therefore something that God does through the church before it is anything we do. Our significance, as leaders, is responsive. We are here, in leadership of God's people, because we have responded to a summons, because we were sought, called, sent, commissioned by one greater than ourselves that our lives might be expended in work more significant than ourselves. It all begins in vocation.”  He also reminds us “No pastor rises much higher than the role of a butler waiting on table. Yet, in the curious topsy-turvy ethics of the Kingdom, this is as high as anyone rises, a servant of those seated at the Lord's Table.”

I find those thoughts helpful.  Ministry is what God does “before it is anything we do.”  We can only do what we can, and I don’t think we should be worrying about what we can’t do.

I read Willimon’s book relatively recently.  But as I was reflecting on what I might say in this note, which I am writing ten days on from the 41st anniversary of my ordination, I also picked off my shelves two books, which I read in preparation for that and still have, Living Priesthood by Michael Hollings and The Christian Priest Today by Michael Ramsey.  For the moment, I have just glanced at them – maybe I will re-read them – but what struck me in both was that the authors identify being a person of prayer as the first and foundational element in Christian ministry.  I know that I am telling you what you know, but I sometimes need to be reminded of basic, but important, elements in what I am called to do.  Whatever our opportunities and options, we all can – and must – let prayer be the core and, although our reformed theology rightly stresses the priesthood of all believers or, as we now often put it, our sharing in the life of the baptised, this is a role that, while very clearly not exclusive to us, is one that is part of our being set apart for ministry.

So, what is ministry (in a time of Coronavirus)?  Maybe some of you will be able to say more about that to me – but I would simply sum it up as pray; do what you can; and don’t worry about what you can’t do.

No comments: