Tuesday 29 October 2019

Reflecting on John's Gospel

I enjoyed reading Peter Brain's "The Knowable God", which he sub-titles as 'a fresh look at the Fourth Gospel'. In the book hge reflects on various aspects and themes in the gospel and I found it fascinating to follow his exploration.

One thing that I found of particular interest was his comment that "in contrast to the Synoptics there are hardly any brief encounters with passing strangers in John. Each episode here is a set-piece, with time to do some character-drawing which allows the reader to become involved and reflect on what the story might mean for them and their life choices." Immediately, one thinks of the likes of the encounter with Nicodemus or that with the Samaritan woman by the well. These are story that say so much when we reflect on them. Brain adds: "There are hardly any brisk parables and healings."  He also points out: "And throiughout it all there are the twelve, loyal yet fearful, those closest to Jesus but who, like the others in the unfolding drama, need to believe in the identity of their leader."

I found the book a helpful reminder of the depths of John's Gospel, and it left me wanting to explore more despite the fact that I think I know its contents well. There is certainly a lot to contribute to thinking about discipleship.

No comments: