Saturday 12 October 2019

Pay Heed to the People You Meet

This was my brief reflection that was part of the closing worship of the Eastern Synod meeting today (12/10/19). It followed the reading of Mark 6:53-56.


Alastair, I may have remembered the name wrongly, but that doesn’t matter, came into the church in Islington of which I was then minister.  I assumed he had come to “borrow” money, as that was why he usually came, and I hadn’t seen him for a while, and I began to consider whether I would be generous, or whether I ought to be resistant – as he put his hand into his pocket and pulled out, and here I definitely can’t remember, 20, 30 pounds – saying: I have come to repay you, and so he did.  In that inner city location, I often had people coming asking for money or food, but only once was I repaid, one encounter that I didn’t expect to work out as it did.
But move on a few years, and we are in Panama.  We lived in a very interesting street.  We lived next door to the church of which I was minister, a Methodist Church, so that was there.  But it was also one of the main drug dealing streets of Panama City and home to some very interesting characters, quite a few of whom would knock the door from time to time, or, actually, more often, yell from the gate which we usually kept locked.  I remember the day a police shoot out ended up outside our house and damaged our gates.  I have often wished that I had kept the bullet casing that I found in our garden the following day.  Anyhow, these characters would yell to attract my attention, and I got to know a few of them a bit, and would give them, usually, just a bit of coinage.  But, on the day in question, my wife and I were going out in the car and had just got a little way down the street when this rather dishevelled looking character loomed up in front of the car, waving me down.  My wife wondered what on earth was going on.  But I didn’t really, because I knew him.  He was one of my regulars, and I assumed he wanted a little money.  But actually he didn’t.  He just wanted to say hello.  I was somebody who did help him from time to time, and he simply wanted to greet me.   Another encounter that didn’t quite turn out how I initially expected.
I wonder what the people who are mentioned in the last few verses of Mark 6 expected?  What, if anything, were they looking for?  It is interesting that the stress seems to be not on the fact that Jesus healed, though that’s there, but on the large numbers that came looking for him.  His reputation was getting around.  And so, there were those who rushed round the area grabbing those who needed Jesus’ transforming, healing touch. 
And so, I want to just ask three questions: first, are we ready to be surprised by some of the encounters that we have, and especially when we think we have got it clearly worked out what people will do?  Second, what’s our reputation?  What are we known for?  And third, how much effort do we put in – are we willing to put in – to get those whom we know to need Jesus to have the chance of some contact with him?

No comments: