Monday 31 December 2012

The Last Laugh



So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, 'After I have grown old, and my husband is old, shall I have pleasure?'  (Genesis 18:12)

I couldn't believe it.  What nonsense!  Of course I laughed.  Who wouldn't have?  It was so ridiculous.  These three men came passing by and, as you would expect, as was our duty, we offered them hospitality.  I got them something to eat, something to drink, and I was glad to do so.  It is not particularly pleasant travelling in the heat of the day.  I left them talking with Abraham.  We women need to stay in the background when there are male visitors.  Our job is to serve some food, but then leave the men to their conversation - only sometimes you can't help but overhear some of what they are saying.

This was one of those times - and I couldn't believe my ears.  I heard them say that I was going to have a baby, a son.  Well, of course, there was nothing I wanted more than that.  How I had longed for a baby.  Some of the time I could think of nothing else. 

But I had got past those dreams.  I knew it wasn't going to happen now.  I'm far too old. That was one thing that was not going to happen.  That was why I laughed.  Why were they telling such an awful joke?  I wasn't sure whether to laugh or to cry.  It just seemed better to laugh at such a ridiculous notion.

But now it seems that God has got the last laugh.  The baby on his way.  I am pregnant.  One of these days I will learn that God is not restricted to what we might expect!

No comments: