Saturday 14 February 2009

Irresistible

I have just finished reading Paul Torday's second novel "The Irresistible Inheritance of Wilberforce" (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2008). I enjoyed it a lot and see it as a well constructed read. The book's central character, Wilbeforce - and he is almost always known by his surname - inherits a large wine collection, having previously been introduced to the delights of drinking the stuff by the former owner. Wilberforce becomes totally addicted to the drinking of wine - no effort and no expense is too much. I think my favourite bit is when, in hospital, a nurse asks him how many units of alcohol he drinks a week. He doesn't know what a unit is, so asks, and, on being given the explanation, does some quick mental maths and comes up with the answer 'about 260'. She is sure he must have made a mistake and suggests he might mean 26 - until he explains that he drinks 4 or 5 bottles of wine a day! The wine has indeed become irresistible. I don't want to commend that model of drinking alcohol - but I do wonder whether our version and/or experience of church has the level of irresistibility that it ought?

No comments: