Tuesday 8 July 2008

Hungry for Spirituality

"Spirituality is about the hunger in the human heart" - Joan Chittister. "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit" - Galatians 5:25. There seems to be a great hunger for spirituality - but spirituality needs to link to the Spirit. There are many places people look to find whatever it is that they need. Do I need more books, more music, more travelling, or whatever - or do need more means of connecting with God? Do I need more spirituality? The world is full of things that demand attention. Shops and advertisements tell me what I need - but what I need is to stand back from that. I enjoy reading a range of books about people's experiences. Some are biography, but some are more anecdotal - but they tend to intrigue, and encourage, me. Stories of people's experiences are stories of what is possible. Stories of the church, wherever we find them, are stories of what God has done and what, if appropriate, God can do again.

No comments: