Friday 31 July 2020

Espresso Scriptures

I have been reading Ben Norton's Espresso Scriptures. It's a bit like a thought for the day, or for the week - and something any of us could do.

The book - published by Proost - started with Ben sending a daily email to a bunch of folk interested in spirital things.  There is a brief quote from Scripture, and then a brief reflection - a bit like a Bible study in brief, to put it another way. Ben himself calls it 'guerilla qorship'.

I think it's a great idea. Let me cite just one.

The Scripture is from Luke 10:39-42, quite a bit longer than many Ben uses -

She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, ‘Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.’ But the Lord answered her, ‘Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.’

But Ben's comment on this one is very brief -

Stillness is a lost art. Do you make time to do nothing but be still? Try seeking out some silence this week. It will be interesting to find out what you hear ...



No comments: