Sunday 29 December 2019

Njube (Visited 24/11/19)


My last visit to Njube was back in 2011, when I had the joy of preaching at a united service hosted by the Njube congregation. It was therefore exciting to be going back.

When we got to Njube, they were towards the end of a Bible Study session, which then led into the service. The service itself started about 11.15, and lasted, somewhat surprisingly, just an hour.  However, it had the enthusiasm and ‘life’ that I remember from my previous visit, probably eight years ago. The service was led by Revd Moyo, the Interim Moderator.

They now have a screen installed which was used to project notices, including a welcome to Revd. Lydia Neshangwe, Presbytery Clerk, and myself, despite the fact that they only knew we were coming this morning, some of the hymns and the readings. This last was good because the projected version of the readings was in English, though they were actually read in Ndebele. Near the beginning Lydia was asked to bring greetings and I followed. I was able to express my appreciation of the welcome and of the obvious unity which we share in Christ. I was glad to bring greetings from the Synod and especially from the church at Maldon, with whom they are twinned. It was a particular joy to be able to bring a monetary gift from Maldon as one of their members had asked me to bring a generous donation. It translated to US$625, which I had put in an envelope. I had agreed with Lydia to present this at the service, and in front of everyone, but not to mention to the amount.

I presented the envelope to the session clerk, who opened the envelope and had the congregation count the money as he pulled out each note and handed it on to someone else. So, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 - and 20 and 5. This was met with great enthusiasm, applause and ‘whooping’. They asked me to pass on their warm thanks and express their appreciation of the twinning relationship.

The rest of the service included the children singing a number of songs, several in English, and reciting memory verses, which was also in English. The choir sang, alongside the mix of hymns, prayers and a powerful sermon, on the theme of thankfulness. Revd. Moyo used both languages, but enough English for me to have a good understanding of what was being said. As usual, we all brought our offerings forward at the appropriate time and at the end, Revd. Moyo and I, and then Lydia went first to the door and everyone followed shaking hands with everyone else, so each person joining the line until we were all in a great circle, in the Zimbabwean/African style and with the choir leading enthusiastic singing as it all proceeded. We then exchanged further greetings and departed. It was good to have been there.

No comments: