Tuesday 26 February 2013

Standing in God's Presence

As part of my Lent thinking I have been reading Terry Hinks' book "God's Embrace" (Darton, Longman & Todd, 2012) in which he offers a series of forty reflections on Luke's Gospel.  Although it has seemed a bit like Advent, to begin with, as he starts at the beginning of Luke, it is a good reflective process.  The second of these reflections particularly focusses on Luke 1:19 - "The angel replied, 'I am Gabriel.  I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news.'"

That got me thinking about what it is like to be standing in the presence of God.  The name we have for that is prayer - and it is worth considering what our prayers should be like.  As Hinks reminds us (p. 46) - "Prayer isn't about bombarding God with our wish lists or demands, our successes or failings.  Prayer at its truest is waiting on God and discovering the deep silent music of God's grace stirring in our hearts."

No comments: