Thursday 5 August 2010

(Don't) Touch My Mess

There's a picture of a dolphin on my office notice-board with a couple of divers in the background and the caption - Don't touch my mess - you'll screw up my world! That is often how I think, and yet is it not true that the church's task is precisely to touch other people's messes? The Bible is certainly full of stories as to how God 'screwed up' various individuals' worlds. A flood did it for Noah. For Abra(ha)m it was a journey into the unknown. Isaiah saw a fantastic vision, S/Paul a blinding light. God is certainly good at turning people round. It is also interesting that people often don't find God where they would expect. I don't believe that God calls us to leave other people's worlds untouched. God wants to make a difference, and does so through us. There is a crucial question for the church as to what we are doing to really make a difference. People need help with their messes. What are we doing about that?

No comments: