Saturday 31 January 2009

In Bed with a Mosquito

There is a saying, ‘If you think you are too small to make a difference, then you have never shared a bed with a mosquito.’ And I can vouch for that. In the early nineties we lived for three years in Panama City in the Republic of Panama. Most of my time and work was in Panama City itself, but occasionally I would need to go to other parts of the country. I remember one particular occasion when I return to Panama City after being up country for a few days, and made the claim that I was absolutely covered with mosquito bites. My wife told me not to exaggerate, but I insisted I had got at least fifty bites and, to prove the point, started counting – and stopped when I got to fifty. I still didn’t get any sympathy – I was just told that it was my own fault for not doing the right things to prevent it from happening. But I can assure you – to return to the saying – ‘if you think you are too small to make a difference, then you have never shared a bed with a mosquito.’ There is, indeed, plenty of evidence around that little things do matter and that small contributions, of whatever sort and in whatever sphere, can make a difference. That difference can be for good and it can be a real irritation. In the Church we need to recognise the value of the little things we can do, and ensure that the difference we make is for good.

No comments: