Sunday 5 May 2024

A Cry for Mercy

I recently read Henri Nouwen’s “A Cry for Mercy”, one of the few of Nouwen’s books that I had not previously read, and quite different from others of his writings in that it largely consists of a collection of written prayers. The book is the fruit of one of his periods living with the Trappist Monks of the Abbey of the Genesee in upstate New York. This period of retreat took place in 1979, following on from an earlier such period in 1974. It clearly meant a great deal to Nouwen and the prayers reflect a lively, if at times challenging, engagement with God. He introduces each section, or theme, for prayer with a brief reflection. For example, he reflects: “I wonder if fear is not our main obstacle to prayer. When we enter into the presence of God and start to sense that huge reservoir of fear in us, we want to run away into the many distractions which our bust world offers us so abundantly. But we should not be afraid of our fears.” Another point of challenge is expressed as he prays: “Lord, I will not bind you with my own limited and limiting ideas and feelings. You can do so many things with me, things that might seem totally impossible to me. I want at least to remain open to the free movement of your Spirit in my life. Why do I keep saying to myself: “I will never be a saint. I will never be able to overcome my impulses and desires.” If I keep saying that, I might prevent you from healing and touching me deeply.”

No comments: